October 30, 2016

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna #1)




“But hey, at least we’ll have this strange story to tell, love and death and blood and daddy-issues. And holy crap, I’m a psychiatrist’s wet dream.”



It’s October, and that means it’s Halloween month, and that means I have to read at least one horror book. I just feel like I have to, because I like ghost stories. So when I saw that Retri from @darklingreads and a couple of other bookstagram made a bookclub and chose Anna Dressed in Blood as their October read, I decided to read it too.


Anna Dressed in Blood is the first book of Anna duology by Kendare Blake. The main character of this book is Cas Lowood. Cas’ father was a skilled ghost hunter/killer who travels around the country. Cas usually tow in with his father to learn how to be a ghost hunter/killer too, but then his father got killed by a ghost, and he’s now left with his Wiccan mother. Cas decided to carry his father legacy and be a ghost hunter/killer himself. One day Cas receives a tip about a ghost who butchers people in Thunder Bay, Ontario. That ghost is known as Anna Dressed in Blood. Cas and his mom then moves to Thunder Bay, and he decided to kill Anna. But everything change when he met Anna.

Okay, first of all, I have to say that I rarely got scared of horror novels. I have this same feeling with horror like I have with sci-fi. Which is, I will feel more, if it was in a form of movie, or graphic novels. I mean, I can imagine what that ghosts or supernatural beings supposed to looks like when I read, but it won’t really spook me. And even with horror movies, I am a very picky person. So don’t get me wrong, when I say this. Anna Dressed in Blood didn’t spook me at all. BUT! I do enjoy it.

I can’t say much about the writings, except that it was quite good. I don’t have any problem with it, but I don’t find anything that like really amazed me. I kind of can see where the story will go, but I do enjoy the plot. It’s quite exciting, and I can feel the tension. There are some adrenaline rush here and there, which is definitely great in horror and mystery book. There is also romance here, which I like, but I hate that I like it. I hate it when my brains decided that I have to like a problematic ship. This ship was design to sunk, wtf brain? Also, the humors in it are also pretty great. Though some of them made me roll my eyes.

There are also some mythology aspect thrown in here and there, which I LOVE. Also there are lots of thing about witchcraft and magic, which I also LOVE. I’m a sucker for myth and witch, they fascinated me, what do you expect? Not to mention the one that is in this book is the type that is kind of rare to be found in YA books. So I’m happy with that!

As for the characters, I have to say that at first I thought I’m not gonna like this book. Because I can’t stop rolling my eyes at Cas. But as the story goes, it changes. I mean, I still roll my eyes at Cas near the end of book. Though it changes from negative to positive. By the end of the book I positively rolling my eyes at Cas. That means, I like Cas character development here. I also love Anna, but I can’t explain further because then it will be spoiler. And I don’t want to give you spoiler because I want you to try and read this book.


This book was a fun read, so I definitely recommend you to read it too. It might not be a spooky horror book, but it’s definitely a pretty good mystery book. I give this book a 3.8/5 stars. That’s a pretty weird score coming from me, but I just feel like it’s definitely above 3.5 but not quite a 4 when I compare it to other YA mystery books.





  • Title            : Anna Dressed in Blood
  • Author        : Kendare Blake
  • Language   : English
  • Page Count: 387 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment