October 1, 2017

September Reading Recap





It’s reading recap time! I managed to read 7 books in September which is super awesome. There’s also a 5 star book this month, some of you maybe can guess what it is, but we’ll talk about that book later. Well then, without further ado let’s get on with the recap.



1) The Painting by Charis Cotter (4.8)

The Painting offers young readers a deep mystery and suspenseful story with a touch of warming charms. This book also tells a story about mother-daughter bonds, childhood trauma, and also a humane story about guilt, loss, and how we as human deals with our misunderstandings and mistakes. I highly recommend this suspenseful yet warm and charming book to any young avid readers and their parents. I think this book could be enjoyed and adored by every age.

Read my full review of The Painting here.
Purchase The Painting from BookDepository.




 2) The Creeps by Fran Krause (3)

The Creeps is a charming collection of 97 short comics by Fran Krause. It’s also a follow-up to Krause’s NYT Best Selling book: Deep Dark Fears. Both books tell fears–both logical and illogical–that humans face in their life. I have followed Krause works on his tumblr, and I really enjoy it. It’s such a simple yet fun idea, scary but funny at the same time.

Read my full review of The Creeps here.
Purchase The Creeps from BookDepository.





 3) Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas (5)

Well, here is my five stars read this month. Not surprising, right? The character developments of Chaol in this book reminds me a lot of Aelin’s character development in Heir of Fire, which is one of my favorite from Throne of Glass series. Sarah does a great job in her world building as always, and there are many new characters that I love in this book. And I am happy that SJM finally starting to show more diversity this year, I hope it gets better and better each book. But I have to say that maybe the SJM fandom has given a bad influence to SJM herself with our “friendly reminder” posts. I mean, that last chapter? How dare you, Sarah? HOW DARE YOU? I can’t wait for the last book of Throne of Glass series to arrive, also, CAN WE PLEASE JUST LET THEM ALL HAVE A HAPPY ENDING AND NOT KILL ANYONE IN THE LAST BOOK, OKAY SARAH? PLEASE.

Purchase Tower of Dawn from from BookDepository.




4) The Chaos of Longing by K. Y. Robinson (3.8)

The Chaos of Longing is a prose and poem collection by K. Y. Robinson. It explores love, heartbreak, trauma, and the aftermath of it all. This book divided into four sections: “Inceptions”, “Chaos”, “Longing” and “Epiphany.” Each section has it owns respective theme and stages of romantic relationship. Starting from the times of yearning and falling for someone, lusting, being in love, falling out of love and learn how to love yourself once again. It tells a sad story and it’s definitely won’t suitable for some people, but with a satisfying end I think it’s a pretty good book to read out of your comfort zone. If you like your poems raw with lot of emotions that might break your heart, then this book is for you.

Read my full review of The Chaos of Longing here.
Purchase The Chaos of Longing from BookDepository




5) Warriors of Love by Jalaluddin Rumi and James Cowan (3.5)

Warriors of Love is an autobiography and poetry book crossover. The first part of this book is a long and thorough introduction by James Cowan. This autobiography-ish part tells story about Rumi and Shams. Starting from the time when they don’t know each other, to the moment they met and became friends, and then the moment they got separated in life. Cowan’s description of Rumi and Shams’ friendship is an interesting one. This is my first time reading background story of both Rumi and Shams, and honestly Cowan’s narrative really intriguing to the point that makes me want to read more about both men, especially Shams of Tabriz. If you're looking for a book about poetry and the story behind it, you would probably adore this book. Especially if you're a fan of Rumi.


Read my full review of Warriors of Love here.
Purchase Warriors of Love from BookDepository.




 6) The Dollmaker of Krakow by R. M. Romero (4.5)

The Dollmaker of Krakow is a fantasy historical fiction middle-grade book sets in 1940s Poland. The story is charming and devastating at the same time. I am sobbing by the end of the book, just so you know. While its magical parts–which might bemused younger readers, R. M. Romero clearly did not held it back with the devastating facts of the history. This is the second Nazi themed book for young readers I read this year. I do think The Dollmaker of Krakow is one of the best book to read to/with young readers when we want to explain about this issue. It has enough charms but also realness in it that creates a great balance of entertaining and teaching young readers. I highly recommended this book.

Read my full review of The Dolllmaker of Krakow here.
Purchase The Dollmaker of Krakow from BookDepository.




6) Tuesdays with Morrie  by Mitch Albom (4.5)

My friends have been bugging me for years to read one of Mitch Albom’s book, and now finally I have. I’m pretty sure that some people won’t like it because it’s kind of feel like a self-help book, I thought I won’t like this book too, but I enjoy this book a lot. This is a thought provoking book, Tuesdays with Morrie is full of life lesson and it’s definitely inspiring. There are some moments that made me want to cry, and some that made me smile. I think this book will be a good read for young adults or twenty-something people.


Purchase Tuesdays with Morrie from Book Depository



And that’s it. Those are all the books I read in September. I’m planning to read at least 7 books again in October, and I will also read some horror books. I’m not that good with horror books, but it’s October, and I feel like I have to read them, so wish me luck. I’m also excited to read Ship of the Dead by Rick Riordan which is the last installment in Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series. I really hope that I can have enough time to read them all, until next recap, then!






No comments:

Post a Comment