September 3, 2017

August 2017 Reading Recap





It’s time for another monthly reading recap. This month I managed to reach my target of reading more than four books. I also managed to find another 5 stars book which actually is an ARC and has not been published yet, which is quite unfortunate for me because I really want to fangirling talk about it with someone.  I’ll talk about it more later, but now without further ado, let’s get on with the recap.





1) To Look a Nazi in the Eye (4)

Jordana Lebowitz has some obsession about Holocaust. Her late grandfather was one of survivors of the death camp, so she definitely has her reasons for her enthusiasm. In 2015, she attended the trials of 94 years old ex-Nazi officer, Oskar Grӧning. The man accused of aiding and abetting in the murder of more than 300,000 Jews in the Auschwitz/Birkenau death camp. When she heard about this war criminal trial, she can’t help but feels like she has to attend this trial and witness with her own eyes how the judge will decide the fate of a member of Nazi that will affect the world’s view. For me, To Look a Nazi in the Eye is one of those books you need to read at least once in your life. The story is important and I hope that everyone will read it. However, while it is easy to read and understand this book, I can’t help but feel a bit detached to Jordana in this book. I would love to read Jordana’s own writing about her experience, not only about her experience in this book but of her other humanity works.

Read my full review of To Look a Nazi in the Eye here.
Purchase To Look a Nazi in the Eye from Book Depository.



 2) Alexander Hamilton: The Graphic History of an American Founding Father (3)

I consider myself as a big fan of Hamilton the musical, so that’s the main reason I requested this book on NetGalley. I have to admit that I have a bit of hard time distinguishing the Alexander Hamilton in musical and Alexander Hamilton in this graphic novel biography. It’s definitely a good book to pick if you want to know more details about his life, though I won’t say that it covers everything, it covers quite a lot of necessary information about Hamilton’s life especially his role in the creation of USA. However, if you’re looking for a book about Hamilton’s personal affairs, I don’t think this is the right book to pick.

Read my full review of Alexander Hamilton here.
Purchase Alexander Hamilton from Book Depository.




3) Aku Ini Binatang Jalang (4.5)

Aku Ini Binatang Jalang (I’m But a Wild Animal) is a poem collection by notorious Indonesian poet, Chairil Anwar edited and collected by Pamusuk Eneste. Chairil did an excellence job with his rhyme. The theme is clear and the cadence of the writing is great. You will find a lot of beautiful, strong and eloquent phrases in this book. The only reason it’s not a perfect 5 stars book for me, is a hard thing to explain. For me, poem is something that I can’t judge objectively. While most of Chairil’s works are wonderful, a few of them left a weak personal impression of me personally. That being said, if you interested in Indonesian literature–especially poetry–then I think Chairil Anwar’s works belongs to your must-read list. Some of my favorite poems in this book is Aku (Me), Tak Sepadan (Not Worth It), Krawang-Bekasi, and Isa.

Purchase Aku Ini Binatang Jalang from Gramedia (Indonesia-based address only) and Amazon.




4) Mera, Puti, Emas: Cerita Anak Bawang (4.7

It’s been a long time since I read Indonesian children book. I first followed the story of Mera, Puti and Emas on Naver’s Line Webtoon. The one on the Webtoon is more of a retelling of two Indonesian folklores: Bawang Merah Bawang Putih and Timun Mas. This book is more like a compilation of their daily-life short stories. It’s much lighter in terms of story, but I still like it. This book is filled with positive vibes and definitely a feel-good book. Not to mention that the three leads in this book is all female and they’re all such a smart, kind, strong and inspiring girls. It’s always a good thing to see these kinds of character which can inspired a lot of kids.

Purchase Mera, Puti, Emas: Cerita Anak Bawang from Bukupedia (Indonesia-based address only).
Follow the story of Mera, Puti and Emas on Webtoon, here.



 5) Warcross (5)

Say hello to my 5 stars read this month! Warcross is one of the most anticipated YA book this year, and I’m glad that the publisher picked me to receive the ARC from NetGalley, because this book is amazing! Warcross really took me back to my love of gaming. It brings back such nostalgic and warm feelings that full of wonders when I play some games that I love. The plot is great, the execution of the mystery and twist is well done, and there are many flawed but good characters to love. I know some people hate the cover, but honestly after I read the book the cover quite reflects the main character style so I like it. I don’t know if this going to be a duology or trilogy, but I know that the second book will come out next year. Warcross will be out on 12th September, and I can’t wait for all of you to read it and discuss this book with me.

Read my full review of Warcross here.
Purchase Warcross from Book Depository.


And that’s it, folks. Those are all the books I read in August.  I’m planning to read at least five books in September, so wish me luck. Though, there’s chance that I will have a heavy bookhangover because of Sarah J. Maas’ Tower of Dawn. But I’ll try my best to at least finished two books before Tower of Dawn comes out, so I’m pretty confidence I can reach my target as well this month. Until next recap, then!







No comments:

Post a Comment