December 23, 2016

Most Anticipated Books of 2017




2016 is coming to an end, and there are going to be so many new books to be release and read in 2017. I plan to read a bunch of published book that have sit too long on my TBR list (look away from my bookshelves and tablet full of e-books). But I also can't help to get excited about some books that will be released next year. So, here is my most anticipated books of 2017:


1. All Rick Riordan’s Upcoming Book



Of course I have to begin with Rick Riordan’s books. As far as I know, there are going to be three new Rick Riordan’s books. The second book of Trials of Apollo series: The Dark Prophecy; The third and final book of Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard trilogy: The Ship of the Dead; And last but never least because it will be narrated by my precious sassy son of Poseidon, From Percy Jackson: Camp Half-Blood Confidential. The last one is only a guide book, BUT it’s going to be written from Percy’s point of view so of course I’m excited.

Trials of Apollo: The Dark Prophecy is set to release on May 2nd, 2017. Pre-order here.
and From Percy Jackson: Camp Half-Blood Confidential is set to release on May 2nd, 2017. Pre-order here.
Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Ship of the Dead is set to release on October 3rd, 2017. Pre-order here.




2. All Sarah J. Maas’ Upcoming Book



I’m not ready. I even have a hard time writing this, oh God. I have one of the most wonderful experience this year because of Sarah J. Maas’ books. But, next year both of her series will come to an end and it scares me to death because I never read the ending of her story before. And I’m so scared that she’s going to pull a Veronica Roth on her book series. She has at least three books to be release in 2017. A Court of Wings and Ruin (ACOWAR) which is the last book of Feyre's arc in A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy (ACOTAR), The Throne of Glass novella about Chaol Westfall, and the final and sixth book of Throne of Glass series. There is also ACOTAR coloring book which will be released on the same date as ACOWAR. Rumor has it that Throne of Glass compendium titled World of Throne of Glass is also going to be released in 2017.

A Court of Wings and Ruin is set to release on May 2nd, 2017. Pre-order here.
ACOTAR coloring book is set to release on May 2nd, 2017. Pre-order here.
Chaol Westfall’s Throne of Glass Novella is set to release on June 2017. Pre-order here.

Throne of Glass 6 is set to release in 2017, though they haven’t announced the expected publication date yet.




3. Iron Gold and Sons of Ares by Pierce Brown



Red Rising trilogy is one of my favorite reads in 2016, and I’m so excited for Iron Gold and Sons of Ares. Iron Gold is the first book of Iron Gold trilogy and it’s the continuation of the Red Rising trilogy. Sets 10 years after the event in Morning Star, Iron Gold will tell the story about consequences that has to be faced by the new leaders and the aftermath of people revolution. Sons of Ares is a Red Rising comic book revolving around the rebel group with the same name.

Iron Gold is set to release on August 22nd, 2017. Pre-order here.

Sons of Ares is set to release in 2017, though they haven’t announced the expected publication date yet.



4. The Song Rising and (Hopefully) The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon




The Song Rising is the third book of The Bone Season heptalogy. The Bone Season has been one of my favorite dystopian series, so no wonder I’m excited to read The Song Rising. Though I have to say that I’m also scared because a lot of people who have read the ARC said that the ending will make me suffer. Why? Why do authors love to make their characters and their readers suffer? The Song Rising come with two cover. The basic edition is the one with the white cover, and a collector edition with the colorful purple cover. Every collector edition come in hardbacks and signed by Samantha herself. There is also The Priory of the Orange Tree which is a standalone fantasy book about a war between dragons and inspired by both Western and Eastern mythology. Sounds so cool right? Unfortunately they haven’t set the publication date for this book yet. But, Samantha said that the final draft is due by the end of this year so I’m keeping my hopes up for this book to be release in 2017.

The Song Rising is set to release on March 7th, 2017. Pre-order the collector edition signed by Samantha Shannon here.
Or the white cover edition here



Oh, speaking of Samantha Shannon...




5. Because You Love to Hate Me



Samantha Shannon will also contribute her writing for a YA villainous anthology, Because You Love to Hate Me. Because You Love to Hate Me will tell 13 fairy tale stories from the villain’s point of view. This anthology is a collaboration between 13 Booktubers—among them are Sasha Alsberg from Bookutopia and Jesse George from Jessethereader—and 13 famous YA authors, like Renee Ahdieh, Samantha Shannon, Marissa Meyer and Victoria Schwab. Also apparently Ameriie is also one of the author and editor of this anthology. You may know her from her hits single, One Thing.

Because You Love to Hate Me set to release on July 11th, 2017. Pre-order here.




6. The X-Files Origins: Agent of Chaos and Devil’s Advocate by Kami Garcia and Jonathan Maberry





I was so excited when they announced there are going to make YA books of Mulder and Scully’s teenage years. The X-Files Origins: Agent of Chaos is written by Kami Garcia and will tell Fox Mulder background story. The X-Files Origins: Devil’s Advocate is written by Jonathan Maberry and will tell a story about 15 years old Dana Scully. Both story are set in 1979, and will follow a series of life-changing event that leads Mulder and Scully to become FBI agents.


Both books are set to release on January 3rd, 2017.
To pre-order The X-Files Origins: Agent of Chaos click here.
To pre-order The X-Files Origins: Devil’s Advocate click here.



7. Lotus by Lijia Zhang



Lotus is written by writer and journalist Lijia Zhang. This book is inspired author’s grandmother early life that she confessed on her deathbed. She revealed that she had been sold to a brothel in her youth. With her insight, Lijia told a story about a young woman as she defies her fate and reveals the surprising strength found in those confronted with impossible choices.


Lotus is set to release on January 10th, 2017. Pre-order here.



8. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden




When I first read the blurp of The Bear and the Nightingale—which is around 3 AM last week—I can’t help but yell, “Vasilisa the Beautiful! Vasilisa the Beautiful!” like a crazy person. I can’t help it, I’m a sucker for fairy tale retelling, especially the one that rarely retold. Or the one that is beautiful but not really known. That being said I don’t think that this book is going to be a total retelling of Vasilisa the Beautiful. I can see some strong aspects from the original fairy tale and Slavic culture, and that’s enough to get me excited. Not to mention, they say that it will pleased the readers of Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus, which is one of my favorite read this year. The Bear and the Nightingale is going to be the first of three, and I’m so excited!


The Bear and the Nightingale is set to release on January 12th, 2017. Pre-order here.



9. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman



It’s Neil Gaiman meets Norse Mythology, do I really need to say more? Okay, perhaps I do. The story will revolves around Thor and his hammer, which has been stolen. Thor needs to disguise himself as a woman—believe me, this is not the first time he did this—to retrieve his hammer. The book will end on Ragnarok, the twilight of the gods and rebirth of a new time and people. Neil Gaiman is an amazing writer, and I’m a sucker for mythology, so I can’t wait to read his retelling.


Norse Mythology is set to release on February 7th, 2017. Pre-order here.



10. Here We Are: Feminism For the Real World



Here We Are is scrapbook-style teen guide to understanding what it really means to be a feminist. 44 amazing people will contribute their arts and speak about feminism. Among those 44 people are Nova Ren Suma the author of The Walls Around Us, poet Zariya Allen, ballet dancer Michaela DePrince, and actress Amandla Stenberg. One of the author, Kelly Jensen, also took the role as editor for this book.


Here We Are is set to release on February 28th, 2017. Pre-order here.



11. Midnight Without a Moon by Linda Williams Jackson




Midnight Without a Moon is a middle-grade historical fiction sets in 1995. The book tell a story about a 13-year-old African-American girl named Rose Lee Carter. Her world was shaken after a 14-year-old African-American boy is killed because he was allegedly whistling at a white woman. I know that I will probably cry a lot reading this, but I’m so excited for this book.


Midnight Without a Moon is set to release on March 1st, 2017. Pre-order here.



12. Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller




Pirates? Checked. Sassy, witty, badass girl as the main lead? Checked. Possible enemy turns to friend turns to lover prompt? CHECKED. I’M SOLD! I remember that I first time I learn about Daughter of the Pirate King because someone who has an ARC of it talks about how good it is on tumblr. And that happened not long after I read Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas which has an awesome Pirates of the Caribbean style battle scenes in it. And after I read the blurb of this book, I’m totally hooked. The story will follow Alosa, a 17-year-old pirate captain, and the daughter of a ruthless pirate king who allows herself to get captured by enemy pirates to steal a hidden treasure map. Can also find the map and escape before the enemy find out about her plan? We shall see.


Daughter of the Pirate King is set to release on March 1st, 2017. Pre-order here.



13. Nemesis by Brendan Reichs




I know that 2017 will be a kind of weird reading year for me, because it looks like I’m going to read a lot of Science Fiction book. I usually have a hard time reading Sci-fi because of my poor imagination. But the teaser of Nemesis is so tempting: Orphan Black meets Lord of the Flies.” The first one is one of my favorite TV series and the other one is my favorite classic dystopian novel. I mean, come on, that is so unfair! Of course now I feel like I have to read the book. Nemesis will tell a story about two teenagers facing each of their greatest yet very different nightmares while uncovering the truth about their life and people around them.


Nemesis is set to release on March 21st, 2017. Pre-order here.



14. Grendel’s Guide to Love and War by A.E. Kaplan




The Perks of Being a Wallflower meets Revenge of the Nerds.” I really want to say that I’m sold when I read this teaser, but who am I kidding? Look at the cover, they had me at ‘Existential Angst.' Grendel’s Guide to Love and War tell a story about Tom Grendel, a teen misfit with an Iraq war veteran who suffers from PTSD as a father. Tom seeks revenge to take down the bro next door but ends up falling for his enemy’s sister and uncovering difficult truths about his family in the process.


Grendel’s Guide to Love and War is set to release on April 18th, 2017. Pre-order here.



15. That Thing We Call a Heart by Sheba Karim




That Thing We Call a Heart first caught my attention because it tells a story about a Muslim-American girl. But not a stereotypical Muslim-American girl. Our main character, Shabnam, defies conventional stereotypes. This book tells a story of a young woman explorations of first love, sexuality, desire, self-worth, her relationship with the people that she loves and what it means to be true. This is really intrigues me since I haven’t read that many book about Muslim women facing their sexuality and desire. This book also said to be set against the backdrop of Radiohead’s music and the evocative metaphors of Urdu poetry. It’s always fun to read a musical references in book and learn something new about a culture that I’m not familiar with, so I’m excited for this book.


That Thing We Call a Heart is set to release on May 9th, 2017. Pre-order here.



16. One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus




The blurb of this book say that it’s “The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars,” but all I can think of when i read the blurb is Abigail Haas’ Dangerous Girls. Which is also one of my favorite and the best YA contemporary and mystery read this year. In One of Us is Lying, five high school students who happen to be strangers have to face detention together. Unfortunately, only four people walk out alive. Each of them is a suspect, and each of them has something to hide.


One of Us is Lying is set to release on May 30th, 2017. Pre-order here.



17. Vengeance is Mine, All Others Pay Cash by Eka Kurniawan



This book was originally published in Indonesian in 2014, but the English version is coming out next year. In Vengeance is Mine, All others Pay Cash we will see Eka Kurniawan’s gritty, comic, and pungent style that will probably pleased Tarantino fans. The story revolves around Ajo Kawir, a lower-class Javanese man who is traumatized after he witnessed a rape of mentally insane yet beautiful woman by two policemen when he was a child. As graphic as it is sounds, this book continues to explore female agency in a violent male world dominated by petty criminals and a corrupt police state. This year I have the utmost pleasure of reading Eka Kurniawan’s Man Tiger, which is longlisted in Man Booker International Prize. Weirdly enough, even though I’m an Indonesian, I read the English version and I’m quite surprised that I really enjoy it. It’s kind of hard for me to find an Indonesian author whose writings suited my taste, I have a very short list of favorite Indonesian authors and Eka Kurniawan is one of them. So, I’m excited for this book, and will definitely read it.


Vengeance is Mine, All Others Pay Cash is set to release on July 25th, 2017. Pre-order here.



18. The History of Bees by Maja Lunde




Special shout out to Ann from @ann_ch4 on instagram for reviewing this book on her bookstagram account. I got hooked after I read her amazing review of the Norwegian edition and find out that the English edition will come out next year. Thanks a lot, Ann! The History of Bees is written by Norwegian author Maja Lunde and tell a story of three generations of beekeepers, in three different period of time. Past, present, and future. This book gives three very different narratives into one gripping and thought-provoking story about the powerful bond between children and parents like the one between nature and humanity.


The History of Bees is set to release on July 27th, 2017. Pre-order here.




19. Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo




Wonder Woman: Warbringer is the first book of DC Icons series. This is a DC heroes YA novel series written by four YA authors: Leigh Bardugo, Matt de la Pena, Marie Lu and Sarah J. Maas. The book series will follow Wonder Woman  (written by Leigh Bardugo), Superman (written by Matt de la Pena), Batman (written by Marie Lu), and Catwoman (written by Sarah J. Maas). I’m not a DC fangirl, but I’m excited for this book because it will be some kind of a retelling of Helen of Troy.


Wonder Woman: Warbringer is set to release on August 27th, 2017. Pre-order here.



20. The Thing with Feathers by McCall Hoyle




The first time I saw the title of this book my mind go straight to one of my favorite poet, Emily Dickinson, and well I was right. This book does have some Dickinson references in it. The Thing with Feathers tells a story about an epileptic teenage girl named Emilie. Emilie was home schooled, and she likes it, she likes to play safe. Until her parents decided to send her to public school. Like that is not bad enough for her, Emilie got assigned together with the starting point guard for a major research project about Emily Dickinson. Worse, she hides her epilepsy from people in her school, but then the worst thing happens. Now Emilie must decide whether to withdraw to safety or follow the dead poet’s advice and “dwell in the possibility.”


The Thing with Feathers is set to release on September 5th, 2017. Pre-order here.



21. Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh



This book was supposed to be released in 2015, so I’m really really hoping that they won’t push it back again. Solutions and Other Problems is the second book by blogger and author Allie Brosh. Her first book—Hyperbole and a Half—really changed my life. It really helped me to get out from my pit of despair two years ago. I will forever be thankful to Allie for that, but I have waited for almost two years and I’m praying so hard that they’re really going to published it next year.


Solutions and Other Problems is set to release on September 7th, 2017. Please, don’t push it back again, please.



22. Origin by Dan Brown




Origin is the fifth book in Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown. This series has been one of my guilty pleasure since I was in high school. I know the critics don’t like him, but I quite like his books. Although he also annoyed me when he released the YA version of The Da Vinci Code just because he thought that his book is too complicated for teenagers. Danny boy, please, I read and enjoy The Da Vinci Code when I was 15 years old. Get off your high horse. Even though he annoyed me, I still can’t wait to read new adventure of Robert Langdon with his Mickey Mouse watch.


Origin is set to release on September 26th, 2017. Pre-order here.



I'm not sure that the last book in this list is going to be published in 2017, but let me have my wishful thinking. Also, FOR THE LOVE OF R'HLLOR JUST RELEASE THIS BOOK ALREADY...

23. The Winds of Winter by George R. R. Martin




“I DID MY WAITING! 12 YEARS OF IT!” Okay no, not that long, but long enough. Can you just please finish and then release the book next year? I need to read about my darling Arianne and my fierce Arya, PLEASE. It’s been too long. I begin to wonder if they’re going to release the book only when the sun rises from the west and sets in the east. Only when the seas go dry and mountain blows in the wind like leaves. And only when Daenerys’ womb quickens again, and she bears a living child. Please just finish the book, George. Please.



I'm pretty sure I will end up with more than these 23 books in my reading list next year, but these books are what I'm most excited about. What is your most anticipated upcoming books of 2017?

No comments:

Post a Comment